Saturday, January 3, 2015

Deliverance Review: Rachel

I was kidnapped.
Taken away from Logan.
Being dragged to Rowansmark.

I'm to be ransomed for tech that Logan took.
But I know that I'm also to be killed.
Logan will be, too, unless I do something about it.

I won't let them kill me.
I won't let them kill Logan.
I'm going to escape and bring them down.

I am a survivor.
A warrior.
And I will set things right.

My name is Rachel Adams.


Hello! I am once again Rachel, this time from the final book of the Defiance series!

Book: Deliverance
Author: C. J. Redwine
Book series: Defiance
Book status: Book 3 (final)
Setting: Wastelands, Rowansmark, basically all 5 city-states that exists
POV: Rachel and Logan, first person
Genre: YA fantasy, dystopian/post-apocalyptic

Book reading: first time
Favorite line: "I'm choosing to infiltrate the enemy's city and right a wrong because I'm a warrior, and that's what warriors do."
Comments: Beautifully written. 5 stars on all counts.
Rating: 5 stars
There really isn't enough I can say about Deliverance. It was exactly what I expected, and more. A lot more. I might weep as I type this.

Three aspects I would like to address today: 1. The book itself  2. Rachel  3. QUINN.

The book itself was amazing. The places, the character arcs, everything. Yes, things were dire, but weaved in the story were bits of light humor, very appropriate and expertly placed. What I really loved was the closure at the end; I wasn't sure what I was expecting to happen at the end, but I did not expect everything to be wrapped up so nicely, with a bottle of my tears beside it. There was complete and absolute closure for both the plot and its characters. One of the most satisfying endings I've ever read. It's a fitting ending for the world that it was built on, for the experiences of pain and grief the characters went through. I could not be happier or more satisfied with the ending, it's perfectly round and dynamic characters, or the book itself. It simply was amazing. Beautiful words, beautiful characters, beautiful world, beautiful book.

Rachel. Oh, Rachel. She is everything I wish I could be. Courage? Check. Fortitude? Check. Strong sense of right and wrong? Check. Selfless? Check. Rachel isn't without flaws, though; she's vulnerable and a bit broken, yes, but she emerges out tougher than ever. She's not one of those I-was-broken-but-I-got-over-it-and-it's-all-a-thing-of-the-past-never-to-bother-me-again type. She's the I-was-broken-but-I've-let-myself-truely-feel-and-understand-it-and-though-I'm-not-completely-healed-I'm-stronger-than-before. She doesn't emerge from her pain head-strong with a flawless resolve; she's simply stronger both inside and out, and knows both herself and others better. She doesn't come out of her pain ready to take down and the burn world; she comes out ready to face the world. And to me, there's a big difference between the two. Rachel becomes wiser, and the descriptions of the inner turmoil she goes through to reach her appropriate resolve is extremely well defined. By the end, you can truly see how much Rachel has evolved as a character, as a person. Outstanding.

And last but not least, I would like to address someone known as Quinn. I want to say he's my Quinn, but I now accept that I can't say that anymore *sobs*. But I don't want to wish him unhappiness, so fine. The whole I'm-giving-you-up-because-I-love-you-and-want-to-see-you-happy thing. Yes, it is eating away at my heart. No, I'm not crying bucketfuls. But like I mentioned before, he, like the rest of the characters, all find their appropriate closures. So who am I to change Quinn's closure? That would be disastrous for him.

All you need to know is that Quinn is simply the sweetest and bravest person in the world. He has a strong resolve, and it's very admirable one. Quinn is the friend everyone needs, the one who is able to see past your pain and help guide you pick up the pieces yourself, thereby helping you make yourself stronger. He's the big brother everyone wants, which may or may not make me extremely jealous of Willow, and he knows when to put family first or friends first. And when his friends start to become family. He understands what it means to have a debt, and what it means for it to turn into loyalty as a friend. He's a good person inside and out, and I just love him. I'm probably not the only one that loves him, which means I have competition, but unlike the others, I've accepted to give him up for his own happiness (which means I love him more). The Outcast, which is the prequel, is all about him, which I fully intend to read. And love. Lots of love.

Overall, Deliverance is one of the best well-written books I've ever had the pleasure to read, and it's definitely going onto my favorite's shelf. Thanks go to Bridget, who recommended the series to me!

Well, what are you waiting for? Go read Deliverance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment