Saturday, December 6, 2014

Ashes Review: Alex

I am a survivor.

An electromagnetic pulse killed billions.
But not me.

I want to know what happened.
I want to understand why I'm alive.

I know there are others who are alive.
But they're not...entirely right.

I want to know who else is still alive, really alive.
But above all, I want to stay alive.

My name today is Alex.


So, today I'm the lucky(?) survivor Alex (who's a girl by the way), who's from Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick! She is one hardcore person, that's all I want to say.

Book: Ashes
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Series: The Ashes Trilogy
Book Status: First book
Setting: Earth (pre and post apocalypse)
POV: Alex, third person
Genre: YA thriller, post-apocalypse

Reading: First time
Notes: great for Halloween
Rating: 4 stars




Okay, I'm cheating a teeny tiny bit again. Technically speaking, I read this book for the first time a while ago, but this was one of those books I read before this blog started up. So I'm still categorizing this under "first time" reads.

May I be the first to say that this is one creepy book. Like I said, great for Halloween (which was when I read it). I mean, you have Alex on a normal day hiking up through the woods, and suddenly the world gets thrown into mayhem. That said, she was in the woods at the time, so she didn't really know that, you know, the entire world kind of dropped dead too, but hey, she figures it out in the end. Points award there for piecing everything together.

I can't go into too much detail because I might spoil it, but the key words here are post-apoclypse, billions dead, handful alive, and those that are alive may not even be human (it's in the book description! Not a spoiler!). So what's a girl to do in this situation?

Like Alex, I was freaked out, with more questions than answers. I mean, me, a survivor? That's laughable. But Alex brought me on a whirlwind of emotions and tough decisions, of hard shots being called and how to move forward through helplessness. Really, there isn't much you can do in a situation like this. But through Alex, I was able to hold my panic down. She's tough because she has to be, able to think without panic clouding her judgement, because she knows she needs to survive. Yes, she has a moments of doubt and fear (it's not exactly a party when the world is barren and everyone's dead), but she doesn't let that stand in her way.

Alex made me realize how much I'd really have to toughen up if I'm going to survive a worldwide disaster. If that day comes (and I seriously hope it doesn't), well, yeah. I don't think I would survive very long, honestly. I'd like to say that I could, but I know there's just no way.

Do you think you guys would survive?

No comments:

Post a Comment